About the Australian National University Program
The ANU campus, established over 50 years ago, is walking distance from Canberra's city centre. Located in lush parkland, it is punctuated by open spaces and low-rise buildings. There are frequent bus connections to town centres and suburbs, and essential facilities and resources are all close at hand.
Approximately 16,715 students study at the ANU, with around 7300 doing their first degree. The ANU is comprised of seven facilities. These facilities are Arts and Social Sciences, Asian and the Pacific Studies, Economics and Business, Engineering and Information Technology, Law, Natural and Life Science, and Medicine, Biology and Environment. The National Institute of the Arts offers courses in the creative arts; that is, visual arts, digital arts and music.
The Brockport Program at the Australian National University offers you the opportunity to:
- Live and study in one of the world's most rewarding and cosmopolitan educational environments,
- Receive instruction in small classes, seminars and tutorials from members of the faculty at the Australian National University,
- Choose (and be guaranteed - before you leave the US) the coursework you want/need from an almost limitless variety of disciplines,
- Participate in the Australian National Internships Program, offering university students from any discipline placements with the Australian (Federal) or the Territory Parliaments, with the Australian or Territory Public Services, or with non-government organisations (including lobby groups). (For more information, visit: http://www.anu.edu.au/anip),
- Total integration with Australian students,
- Improve your writing and research skills.
Your experience at the Australian National University will:
- Introduce you to Australian society and the Australian educational system,
- Make you a better student,
- Expand your outlook on the world,
- Build your self esteem and self confidence,
- Enhance your career prospects.
At the Australian National University you will:
- Live with Australian students in modern, superior [single bedroom/adjoining suite] Australian National University-owned accommodation,
- Receive a comprehensive on-site orientation to study at the Australian National University that will maximize the benefits of your semester/year of study,
- Have the benefit of an on-going program of field trips, excursions, and social events through ANU,
- Enjoy the security of a complete package of academic and non-academic support services.
Visit their web site at: http://www.anu.edu.au
City Of Canberra
Canberra is the national capital, located between the two major cities of Sydney and Melbourne. As the seat of the federal government, Canberra contains the head offices of all federal Departments, the national Parliament and is the headquarters of the most significant national associations and lobby groups.
Canberra is a "bush capital", just two hours by car from the snowfields, two hours from Pacific beaches and three hours from the bright lights of Sydney. An open, hassle free and convenient city, Canberra is the ideal place to study and live.
Visit the city website:
Housing & Orientation
Participants in Brockport's Program at the Australian National University (Canberra) will be housed in a "single" (unshared) accommodation with the choice of self-catering or catered facilities. The Student Housing Office will assist in housing placements on campus for all Brockport Australian National University (Canberra) Program participants. Participants should apply for on-campus housing on the web http://www.anu.edu.au/study/accommodation when their application is accepted by Brockport. All Halls and Colleges accommodate both men and women and have single study bedrooms that are heated and carpeted. Most Halls and Colleges provide shared male and female bathroom facilities (with individual shower cubicles). One residence does provide female-only bathrooms.
If on-campus housing is not available and the Australian National University is unable to provide participants with university-owned housing, participants will be reimbursed for an amount equal to the average cost of non-catered university-owned housing at the Australian National University for the period during which the participants are enrolled in the program. Lists of off-site housing may be obtained at the above website.
An orientation program specifically for study abroad and exchange students is conducted by ANU during the week prior to the commencement of classes in both semesters. Issues covered including setting in to life in Canberra, culture shock, accommodation, health insurance, clubs and societies, email access, study skills, weekend trips, and social events.
Fees for the Brockport's Australia: Australian National University Program
Budget Sheet for the Undergrad Program (Fall 2017)
$14,893.75 (Est. Study Abroad Cost)
$5,363.75 (Est. Exchange Rate for NYS Resident)
$9,167.75 (Est. Exchange Rate for Non-NYS Resident)
Budget Sheet for Undergrad Program (Spring 2017)
$15,849.50 (Est. Study Abroad Cost)
$6,319.80 (Est. Exchange Rate for NYS Resident)
$8,879.80 (Est. Exchange Rate for Non-NYS Resident)
- TUITION (at Brockport and at the Australian National University in most Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences programs*),
- Program Acceptance Fee
- Australian Health Insurance
- Pre-departure orientation materials
- On-site orientation upon arrival at ANU
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services
- Various campus-specific fees* (college fee, technology fee, etc.).
- SUNY International Health Insurance**
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Australian Student Visa
- Airfare to and from Australia
- Travel while in Australia
- Personal Expenses
As a very rough guide, a participant in the Brockport ANU Program will need to budget approximately $600 to $700 AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS per month, to pay for daily local travel, textbooks and other school supplies, entertainment, meals and other necessities.
- This estimate does not include the purchase of clothing; travel in Australia outside of the excursions/field trips organized by the program.
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences and travel choices.
Financial aid applies towards fees. Please be sure to check with the Financial Aid Office at your home school. If applying or receiving financial aid, you will need to give the Financial Aid Office (at your home school) a copy of your acceptance letter and budget sheet.
*Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
**The SUNY Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
The cost (and items included in the cost) as listed on the website are subject to change and should be considered estimates. Final budget sheets will be mailed to the student prior to departure and usually upon acceptance.
As is the case on your own campus, not all courses will be offered each year and/or each semester, but the vast majority will. For a complete, updated listing of courses offered, visit the Australian National website at: http://programsandcourses.anu.edu.au/. A list of courses and specific course descriptions may be downloaded under faculty headings.
Participants of the Brockport Australian National University (Canberra) Program will normally earn four or five credit hours for each course successfully completed at ANU, for a maximum of sixteen credits per semester.
Participants of the Brockport Australian National University (Canberra) Program will select (prior to departure) four courses available to study abroad students at the Australian National University.
Participants in the Australian National University (Canberra) Program are examined in the same manner (and to the same standard) as their Australian counterparts and classmates. A number of courses in which they will enroll are examined formally at the end of the semester and in order to be awarded credit, participants must take--and pass--the examination at the end of the study period in question.
View a list of the possible academic subjects offered by the Australian National University Program as well as all of Brockport's university programs in Australia, here:Academic Subjects- Programs in Australia and New Zealand.pdf
Spring 2018 (est.): Start: 2/12/18 End: 6/17/18
Fall 2017: Start: 7/17/17 End: 11/18/17
Fall Semester: April 3rd (est.)
Spring Semester: October 1 (est.)
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.