About the France: Institut de Touraine Summer Program
The Institut de Touraine, in Tours, France Summer Program allows students to participate in one or more 4-week sessions (May-September). This ensures students to continuously progress their French language skills.
The French language immersion program through Brockport is conducted at the Institut de Touraine in Tours, France. The Institut specializes in teaching French to non-native speakers. The Institut de Touraine is a pedagogic branch of the University of Tours and is housed in two well-appointed nineteenth-century mansions in the historic old section of the city of Tours.
Visit their website:http://www.institutdetouraine.com/en
Tours is a busy provincial capital in a region of France with one of the most perfect climates in Europe, and in which (reputedly) the "most perfect" French is spoken. Paris is only one hundred fifty kilometers from Tours (one hour by train).
Visit the city website: http://www.ligeris.com/index/us
The Brockport French Language Immersion Program offers you the opportunity to:
- Study in Tours, France at a well established language school,
- Receive instruction in small classes with one on one attention,
- Improve your French written, oral and research skills.
Your experience in the French Language Immersion Program will:
- Integrate you into French society.
- Make you a better student.
- Expand your outlook on the world,
- Build your self-esteem and self-confidence,
- Greatly enhance your career prospects,
- Improve your foreign language skills tremendously.
At the Institut de Touraine, you will:
- Live with a French family,
- Receive a comprehensive on-site orientation to study in France that will maximize the benefits of your semester of study,
- Benefit from a program of field trips organized specifically for the Brockport program participants by the Institut,
- Enjoy the security of a complete package of academic and non-academic support services provided by the Institut de Touraine and Brockport's Resident Director.
Housing & Orientation
Housing for participants of the Brockport Tours Program is in homestays with French-speaking families in Tours. Students are placed with these families by the Institute. The cost of housing is based on single accommodation (bathroom shared with others in household).
Students should expect to be placed in accommodation from 10 minutes to 30 minutes walking distance from L'Institut de Touraine.
The homestay includes: half-board Monday thru Friday, full board on week-ends, laundry once a week, towels and bed sheets and free Wi-Fi.
Fees for the France: Institut de Touraine (6 Credit) Summer 2017 Program
Undergraduate Summer Program Cost: $4,629.78 (Estimated)
- Program Acceptance Fee
- Various campus fees (college fee, technology fee, etc.)**
- SUNY International Health Insurance*
- Housing (homestay with shared bath, 14 meals per week)
- Cultural Workshops
- Pre-departure orientation materials
- Transportation from Paris to Tours, and
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Homestay booking fee (€30)
- Transportation to and from Paris
- Travel while in Tours
- Textbooks & supplies
- Additional Meals
- Personal Expenses
- Local travel
As a very rough guide, a participant in the Brockport Tours Program will need around $500 to $600 per month to pay for daily local travel, textbooks and other school supplies, entertainment, meals and other necessities.
- This estimate does not include the purchase of clothing; travel in France or Europe outside of the excursions/field trips organized by the program.
- The group flight will cost participants around $900.00 (depending on departure/return dates, the point of origin of any connecting flights in the US, etc.).
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences and travel choices.
Financial aid applies towards fees.
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
Summer courses (June to September) are organized in 9 levels, from total beginner to advanced. This ensures students who stay several months can continuously progress, moving up levels at the end of the month.
The program is 5 weeks, 6 credits.
For Brockport French Majors and Minors
Students studying abroad in Tours will receive a total 6 Brockport credits for the summer, depending on the session chosen.
Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their departmental academic advisor while considering study abroad options.
All 9 levels meet for intensive language courses every morning, Monday through Friday, from 8:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. In the Afternoons Levels 1 and 2 courses have 90-minute laboratory se255, 255, 0);">Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.
Summer 2018: May 28th - June 30th, 2018
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.