About the University of Canberra Program
The University of Canberra currently enrolls about 10,000 students from over 90 countries, educating students for approximately 30 different professions. The University of Canberra is the Australian university with a global outlook - young, dynamic and innovative, making the professional difference. Its mission is to provide the highest level of professional undergraduate education in Australia. It has 86 undergraduate departments and 31 university and faculty research centers. The University of Canberra is located in the nation's capital, on Lake Burley Griffin (a man-made lake), which hosts many picturesque bicycle paths. Canberra is a planned city developed in the 1960's to be the capital of Australia, positioned between the cities of Sydney (2 hours drive away) and Melbourne.
Visit the website at: http://www.canberra.edu.au
Visit the city website: http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/
The Brockport Program at the University of Canberra offers you the opportunity to:
- Live and study in one of the world's most rewarding and cosmopolitan educational environments,
- Receive instruction in small classes, seminars and tutorials from members of the faculty at the University of Canberra,
- Choose (and be guaranteed - before you leave the US) the coursework you want/need from an almost limitless variety of disciplines,
- Total integration with Australian students,
- Improve your writing and research skills.
Your experience at the University of Canberra will:
- Introduce you to Australian society and the Australian educational system,
- Make you a better student,
- Expand your outlook on the world,
- Build your self esteem and self confidence,
- Enhance your career prospects.
At the University of Canberra you will:
- Live with Australian students in modern, superior [single bedroom/adjoining suite] University of Canberra-owned accommodation,
- Receive a comprehensive on-site orientation to study at the University of Canberra that will maximize the benefits of your semester/year of study,
- Have the benefit of an on-going program of field trips, excursions, and social events through the University of Canberra,
- Enjoy the security of a complete package of academic and non-academic support services.
Housing & Orientation
Housing at Canberra is available to students who have a choice of single accommodation with self-catered facilities or apartment-style accommodation.
The Canberra Student Housing Office (www.canberra.edu.au/residences) will assist students with campus accommodations.
An orientation program specifically for study abroad and exchange students is conducted by the University of Canberra during the week prior to the commencement of classes in both semesters. Issues covered including settling in to life in Canberra, culture shock, accommodation, health insurance, clubs and societies, email access, study skills, weekend trips, and social events.
Fees for the Brockport University of Canberra Program:
Budget Sheet for the Undergrad Program (Spring 2018)
Budget Sheet for the Undergrad Program (Fall 2018)
$10,604.24 (Est. Study Abroad Cost);
$4,904.24 (Est. Exchange NYS Resident Cost);
$8,914.24 (Est. Exchange Non-NYS Resident Cost)
(Estimated - Study Abroad Cost);
(Estimated - Exchange NYS Resident Cost);
(Estimated - Exchange Non-NYS Resident Cost)
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- TUITION (at Brockport and at the University of Canberra in most Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences programs*)
- Program acceptance fee
- Australian Health Insurance
- Pre-departure orientation materials
- On-site orientation upon arrival at the University of Canberra
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services.
- Various campus-specific fees** (college fee, technology fee, etc.)
- SUNY International Health Insurance***
- Housing Security Deposit
- Australian Visa
- Airfare to and from Australia
- Travel while in Australia
- Personal Expenses
As a very rough guide, a participant in the Brockport University of Canberra Program will need to budget approximately $400 to $500 DOLLARS per month, to pay for daily local travel, textbooks and other school supplies, entertainment, meals and other necessities.
- This estimate does not include the purchase of clothing; travel in Australia outside of the excursions/field trips organized by the program.
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences and travel choices.
Financial aid applies towards fees. Please be sure to check with the Financial Aid Office at your home school. If applying or receiving financial aid, you will need to give the Financial Aid Office (at your home school) a copy of your acceptance letter and budget sheet.
*Enrollment in most Science and Engineering programs at Canberra are at an additional extra charge.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
***The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
The cost (and items included in the cost) as listed on the website are subject to change and should be considered estimates. Final budget sheets will be mailed to the student prior to departure and usually upon acceptance.
For more information on the specific courses available, please visit: http://www.canberra.edu.au/courses/
Participants in the Brockport/University of Canberra Program will normally earn three or four credit hours for each course successfully completed at University of Canberra, for a maximum of sixteen credits per semester.
Prior to departure, participants in the Brockport/University of Canberra Program will select three courses from the courses available to study abroad students at University of Canberra. All instruction in the Brockport/University of Canberra Program is by University of Canberra faculty.
Participants in the Brockport/University of Canberra Program are examined in the same manner (and to the same standard) as their Australian counterparts and classmates. The majority of courses in which they will enroll are examined formally at the end of the semester. In order to be awarded credit, participants must take--and pass-- the examination at the end of the study period in question.
View a list of the possible academic subjects offered by the University of Canberra as well as all of Brockport's university programs in Australia, here: Academic Subjects- Programs in Australia and New Zealand.pdf
Program Dates and Deadlines
Spring 2018: February 5th- May 26th, 2018 (est.)
Fall 2018: July 30th - November 18th, 2018
Fall Semester: April 1st (est.)
Spring Semester: November 1 (est.)
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.