About the University of Sydney- Summer School and Internship
The University of Sydney is the oldest and most prestigious university in Australia, with an international reputation for excellence. The main campus stands on 72 hectares with its magnificent 1857 neo-gothic sandstone quadrangle reflecting the University's academic and cultural heritage. Research and technological facilities are first class, and include the prizewinning Fisher Library which holds over 4 million items.
The University of Sydney has designed a wonderful short-term summer program for study abroad students. Students have the option to take two courses or take one course and a part-time internship within their academic field. Internships are not guaranteed. Students who want an internship will need to apply and complete a skype interview prior to the program start date. Placements are limited so students are encouraged to select a backup course incase they are not selected for the internship placement. The University of Sydney has many unique summer courses to select from!
This short-term program is a fantastic way to experience Australian's exciting culture, develop global connections in your chosen profession and gain a competitive advantage in the graduate employment market. Sydney, the capital of New South Wales, is a free-spirited and vibrant city built around one of the world's most beautiful harbors (where Sydney Opera House is located), with many beaches within easy reach of its cosmopolitan heart.
Visit the University website at: http://www.usyd.edu.au
Visit the city of Sydney website: http://www.sydney.com.au/
The Brockport Program at the University of Sydney offers you the opportunity to:
- Live and study in one of the world's most rewarding and cosmopolitan educational environments,
- Receive instruction in small classes, seminars and tutorials from members of the faculty at the University of Sydney,
- Choose either 2 courses or 1 course plus an internship,
- Select a part time internship placement with the Research Institute for the Asia and the Pacific (if you would like to combine this opportunity for credit along with your coursework),
- Integration with Australians,
- Improve your writing and research skills tremendously.
Your experience at the University of Sydney will:
- Introduce you to Australian society and the Australian educational system,
- Make you a better student,
- Expand your outlook on the world,
- Build your self esteem and self confidence,
- Enhance your career prospects.
At the University of Sydney you will:
- Live with Australian students in modern, superior [single bedroom/adjoining suite, apartment complex] University-owned accommodations on or near one of the campuses (on-campus more limited) or in off-campus accommodations if you prefer,
- Receive a comprehensive on-site orientation to study at the University of Sydney that will maximize the benefits of your semester/year of study,
- Have the benefit of an on-going program of field trips, excursions, and social events,
- Enjoy the security of a complete package of academic and non-academic support services.
Discover the University of Sydney: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK_w3hcSCeI
The University of Sydney provides guaranteed accommodation at Urbanest, a student accommodation complex with five inner city locations on the doorstep of downtown Sydney. All students who live at Urbanest have access to facilities.
Visit their website: http://urbanest.com.au/locations/sydney/quay-st
Fees for Brockport's Summer 2019 Australia: University of Sydney - Summer School and Internship Program
Undergraduate Summer Program Costs:
$3,259.76 (Estimated cost - in State 4 credits)
$3,285.76 (Estimated cost - out-of-State 4 credits)
$5,875.68 (Estimated cost - in State 8 credits)
$6,137.68 (Estimated cost - out-of-State 8 credits)
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Program Acceptance Fee
- SUNY International Health Insurance*
- Various campus-specific fees (college fee, technology fee, etc.)**
- Pre-departure Orientation Materials
- On-site Orientation in Sydney
- Internship placement & support services (only if doing internship)
- and Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services.
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences, and etc.
Financial aid applies towards fees.
- Round Trip Airfare to/from Australia
- Local Travel
- Miscellaneous Personal Expenses
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
Note: We strongly recommend that you purchase trip insurance to cover loss of luggage, cancelled/missed flights, missed/cancelled program, etc. In the event that you cannot attend a program (for example, with a medical emergency or U.S. State Department Travel Warning), such insurance can cover loss of program fees resulting from a cancelled program.
This is a six credit program. The University of Sydney offers the largest selection of courses in Australia to Study Abroad students. These are customized for the short-term program, providing hands-on experiential learning in an Australian cultural context.
Students choose either 2 courses or 1 course plus an internship (see below). The following are courses available during the summer:
Cultural Difference: An Introduction
•ARTS2600 Internship 1
•CAEL2042 Photography and the Darkroom
•ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics
•EDUF3034 Australian Theatre, Film and Learning
•EDUH4052 Learning in Outdoor Education
•EDUH4058 Sport and Learning in Australian Culture
•ENGL2666 Creative Writing: Theory and Practice
•FINC2011 Corporate Finance I
•IBUS1102 Cross-Cultural Management
•MKTG1001 Marketing Principles
•PMGT1852 Facilitation and Stakeholder Engagement
•SCLG2608 The Sociology of Deviance and Difference
•USSC1604 Sex, Race and Rock: US Culture
•WORK3201 International Human Resource Management
For a complete list of the courses available in Session A, please visit this link: https://goo.gl/hgCD6v
For a complete list of the courses available in Session B, please visit this link: https://goo.gl/Q2fDj3
For more general course information, visit the following website: http://sydney.edu.au/courses/
For more information about the summer program, please visit: http://sydney-au-sa.terradotta.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10391
*Keep in mind that Summer in the Northern Hemisphere is Winter in Australia, so be sure to look for courses offered in Sydney's "winter" program.
Study Abroad Internship Program
The University of Sydney's unique Study Abroad Internship Program (ARTS2600) provides the opportunity to gain work experience within the Australian marketplace. Students enhance their skills and develop confidence by undertaking a credit-bearing Study Abroad Internship course through one of our many industry partners. We work with companies from a variety of fields including start-ups, technology firms, financial service providers and non-profits. Applicants are placed on a best-fit basis. Placement is competitive and based on eligibility criteria such as GPA (3.2 minimum), applicability of academic studies to the placement, and the outcome of a Skype interview. Through rigorous academic curriculum and 120* hours (15 day) placement, students have the opportunity to:
- become familiar with Australia’s workplace culture
- apply their learning in real-life environments
- enhance their interpersonal, communication and cross-cultural skills
Session A: June 4th - July 17th, 2019 (3 week or 6 week session)
Session B: June 25th - July 26th, 2019 (3 week or 5 week session)
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.