About the Queen Mary University of London Summer Program
Queen Mary is one of the larger multi-faculty institutions of the internationally-renowned University of London. It is also dynamic and future-focused, with a contemporary approach towards education, life and culture. As one of the larger colleges of the internationally renowned University of London you can be assured of a world-class education. Queen Mary is a leading teaching institution at which many faculty members are leaders in their field. It is also one of only a few campus universities in the city. Queen Mary is situated in the heart of the East End, an area of London with a rich past, but also one which has become one of the capital's most vibrant and exciting areas today.
Visit their website, at: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/summer-school/
The Queen Mary University, London Program offers you the opportunity to:
Your experience on the Queen Mary University of London Program will:
- Live and study in one of the world's most rewarding and cosmopolitan environments,
- Receive instruction in small classes, seminars, and tutorials from members of the faculty of Queen Mary University of London,
- Have total integration with students from Queen Mary University, London as well as international students.
At Queen Mary University of London Summer School, you will:
- Integrate you into British society and the British educational system,
- Make you a better student,
- Expand your outlook on the world,
- Build your self-esteem and self-confidence,
- Greatly enhance your career prospects.
- Live with students in one of the university's halls of residence,
- Receive a comprehensive on-site orientation to study at Queen Mary University of London that will maximize the benefits of your summer of study,
- Have the benefit of participating in Queen Mary's social program
- Enjoy the security of a complete package of academic and non-academic support services provided by the International Office at Queen Mary University of London
The City of London
London is, in addition to being the center of British politics, business, art, music, and culture, a great city for students. There is always lots to do and see, and many opportunities for research, study, entertainment, and fun. "If you are a 20-year old - it is where you want to be". The area has many artists, art galleries, museums, nightclubs and bars.
For a preview of the excitement of today's London, visit one of these sites on the web:
Housing & Orientation
An orientation program is provided by Queen Mary University of London to make you feel at home straight away.
As a QMUL Summer School student, you will be offered a place on campus in our comfortable accommodation. You’ll have an en-suite single room in one of their self-catering flats, so you can meet other students and make friends while you're there. Breakfast is included in your accommodation and you will be provided with bedding and towels with daily service of room cleaning. You will also have wifi access. In your shared kitchen, you will have a cooker, microwave, freezer and kettle, toaster, with a mini-fridge in your bedroom. Basic crockery, cutlery and utensils will also be provided.
Fees for the Brockport Queen Mary University of London Summer 2019 Program.
Undergraduate Summer Program Costs:
$2,762.84 (Estimated 4-credit cost in-State tuition)
$3,238.84 (Estimated 4-credit cost out-of-State tuition)
$4,825.68 (Estimated 8-credit cost in-State tuition)
$6,127.68 (Estimated 8-credit cost out-of-State tuition)
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- TUITION (at SUNY and at Queen Mary, University of London*)
- Various campus-specific fees*** (college fee, technology fee, etc.)
- Program Acceptance Fee
- Pre-departure Orientation Materials
- On-site orientation
- Airport pick-up service
- Self-catered accommodation with ensuite single room and shared kitchens
- Some activities including a field trip
- SUNY International Health Insurance**
- Queen Mary's Study Abroad Office Services, and
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences and travel choices.
- Extensive QMUL social program
- Mandatory course field trip activities (example: tickets to activity, travel to/from, accommodation when needed. For more information, see courses below)
- Airfare to and from London (or from London to/from Europe)
- Local travel while in London
- Personal Expenses
Financial aid applies towards fees.
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
Note: We strongly recommend that you purchase trip insurance to cover loss of luggage, cancelled/missed flights, missed/cancelled program, etc. In the event that you cannot attend a program (for example, with a medical emergency or U.S. State Department Travel Warning), such insurance can cover loss of program fees resulting from a cancelled program.
You will have the option to choose from two different session dates, or you can choose to participate in both. QMUL Summer School puts you in charge of your studies. You can choose from a range of Summer School courses, there is no fixed academic path. Students can choose from the list of courses below:
- Artistic Rebellion in London and Paris
- British Horror and Fantasy Cinema from Dracula to Harry Potter
- Chinese Language and Culture Level 1
- Introduction to International Law
- Introduction to Particle Physics
- Issues and Debates in International Relations
- Migration and Urban Change in London and Paris
To read about course descriptions, click here
- Chemistry for today and tomorrow; from bench to market
- Chinese Language and Culture Level 2
- Global Shakespeare
- International Business
- London in modern European Literature, Fine Art and Film
- London Performance Past and Present
- Practical Machine Learning
- State Crime: Government Violence and Corruption
- The Universe: an introduction to astronomy, cosmology, and data science
- Timewalkers: early humans, stone tools and environmental change
Some courses may include a "field trip" to the a local exhibit, performance, landmark, etc. These activities are not included in the Brockport bill and students will be informed how to purchase the needed ticket (if applicable) when they arrive at QMUL. The courses "Migration and Urban Change in London and Paris" and "London Performance Past and Present" will have the largest additional expense. Migration and Urban Change in London and Paris entails a trip to Paris. The accommodation and transportation is not included in the Brockport bill. London Performances Past and Present include 6+ theater shows. All course field trips are an additional expense.
View a list of the possible academic subjects offered by the University of Westminster Summer Program as well as all of Brockport's university programs in England, please click here: https://brockport.studioabroad.com/_customtags/ct_FileRetrieve.cfm?
To ensure that you are fully immersed in London life, the Queen Mary Summer School has also curated a calendar of social activities to accompany your studies.
To make you feel at home in London from the moment you arrive, there will be a number of complimentary
events taking place as part of QMUL Welcome Program.
Throughout the rest of the Summer School, there will be events running regularly (which may incur a small fee- this is not part of the program fee). QMUL will send you more information on the social program and these optional events before you arrive, so you have plenty of time to plan your social calendar. They hope to give you the full London experience: from traditional British cuisine to exciting hipster hang-outs, all against the vibrant multi-cultural backdrop of the East End. Taking part in their extensive social program will give you the opportunity to build friendships with your fellow Summer School students, and experience the city from the perspective of a local.
The social program may include, but is not limited to the following activities:
- A trip to Buckingham Palace
- Aladdin the Musical on the West End
- Street Art Tour of the East End
- Junkyard Golf Club
- An East End curry night at Tayyabs
- Cinema trips
To participate in the extensive social program, students will be informed on how they can purchase an a ticket (if needed). QMUL has an "e-shop" so students can individually selected which program activities they would like to participate on. NOTE:
These activities are not included on your Brockport bill and it is not mandatory that you participate.
There are two sessions for this program, students can attend both sessions or just one of the sessions.
Session 1: June 29th - July, 17th, 2020
Session 2: July 20th - August 7th, 2020
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.