About the University of Leeds Summer Program
The University of Leeds is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside the UK has to offer. Located in the county of West Yorkshire in the north of England, Leeds is approximately 2 hours from London and 2 hours from Edinburgh. Founded in 1904, the University of Leeds is the UK's second largest university with 30,500 students from over 130 countries. Study Abroad and exchange students come to Leeds from North America and continental Europe as well as Asia, South America and Australia seeking to internationalize their student experience. The University campus is a mix of old and new. State-of-the-art learning and teaching facilities coexist with impressive landmark buildings of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Leeds is internationally renowned for research and teaching excellence. The University has won more environmental awards than any other UK university, including the 2006 Green Gown Award for Waste Management and the 2007 Award for Continuous Improvement.
Overview of the Summer School
By participating in Leeds International Summer School you will have a fantastic opportunity to live and learn in one of England's most exciting student cities. You will be able to experience the UK education system and immerse yourself in genuine British culture. You will learn from Leeds academic staff about the fascinating and beautiful area of Yorkshire, famous for its lush green scenery, long social and artistic history, and warm, friendly people! Plus, you'll earn credit at the same time!
Through experiential learning and field trips, you will spend lots of time outside of the classroom, enjoying hands-on learning that will give you insights into British culture, history and society that even the Brits will envy...
As a Leeds International Summer School student (LISS), you will live with other LISS students in student housing. You will have the privacy of your own room and share a bathroom with one other student of the same gender. You will also share a kitchen with other students on the summer program, allowing you the opportunity to socialize and make lifelong friends from all over the world.
Breakfast and lunch is included from Monday to Friday. The kitchens have cooking facilities, but if you don’t feel like cooking for yourself there are lots of catering outlets on campus. There are also cafes and restaurants near to the University and in the city centre, so there’s plenty of choice.
You are expected to arrive at your allocated accommodation on Saturday 6 July and classes start on Monday 8 July.
Fees for Brockport's England: University of Leeds Summer 2019 Program
Undergraduate Summer Program Cost: $5,229.32 (Estimated)
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Tuition (5 credits)
- SUNY International Health Insurance*
- Various campus-specific fees (college fee, technology fee, etc.)**
- Program Acceptance Fee
- Pre-departure orientation materials
- On-site orientation at Leeds
- Breakfast and lunch from Monday to Friday
- Some field trips and excursions
- Social Activities, and
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services
The actual amount that you will spend depends heavily on your style of living, and will vary with each individual's personal spending habits, entertainment preferences and travel choices.
Financial aid applies towards fees.
- Some meals
- Transportation to and from London
- Miscellaneous personal expenses
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
***Study Abroad Students can get either an early bird discount if they apply by April 5th or apply for a scholarship (£500). Only one discount can be applied per student*** For more information visit the University of Leeds Scholarship and Financial Aid page or please contact our office. http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/130112/fees_and_funding/152/international_scholarships
Note: We strongly recommend that you purchase trip insurance to cover loss of luggage, cancelled/missed flights, missed/cancelled program, etc. In the event that you cannot attend a program (for example, with a medical emergency or U.S. State Department Travel Warning), such insurance can cover loss of program fees resulting from a cancelled program.
Leeds Summer School £500 Santander Scholarships
Leeds will be awarding £500 Santander Scholarships to students from the USA. Scholarships will be awarded to good applicants who have a GPA of 3.2 or above, and a strong application. The Santander Scholarship application is part of the Leeds Summer School application. Students fill out this application once they have created a study abroad application on our website.
What you'll study
Experience the vibrant, student friendly city of Leeds and explore the rich history, culture and natural beauty of the area. The summer school combines world-class tuition with academic field trips. Leeds International Summer School also includes social activities and cultural excursions.
How the summer school works
The Leeds International Summer School runs for four weeks and comprises two modules, each lasting two weeks. Each module is worth 10 Leeds credits so by completing the four-week programme you will receive 20 Leeds credits, equivalent to six US. There is a choice of modules in each block — when you apply you should select one module from each block.
- Building Britain, 1700-1840: Industrial ‘Revolution’ or ‘Evolution'
- British Literature and the Brontës
- Business and Cultural Awareness: Bridging the Gap
- Exploring the Performing Arts: Comedy in Britain
- Introduction to Robotics and Autonomous Systems
- Introduction to Special Effects in Filmmaking
- Management in Organisations: Theories, Techniques and Decision Making
- Music in Film
- Natural Sciences: Global Challenges and Scientific Skills
- Philosophy of Mind and Ethics: Dilemmas and Though Experiements
- The English Country House: A Social History
- The Path to Justice: Criminal Law and Legal Skills
- Wealth and Poverty: The Making of the Modern World
- Applied Ethics for Business and Society
- Chinese Language and Cultural Awareness for Business
- Conflict Analysis in International Politics: Causes, Negotiation and Resolution
- Data Mining and Text Analytics
- Entrepreneurship and Society: Ideas, Opportunities and Value Creation
- Heretics, Witches and Conspirators: A History of Fear, 1500-1700
- Introduction to Digital Photography
- Introduction to Psychology: Perception, Cognition and Emotion
- Physiology and Microbiology in Action: Exploring Respiratory Health
- The Path to Justice: Criminal Law and Legal Skills
- Renewable Energy Futures: Policy and Technology
- Sport in the UK: Health and Performance Issues
<iframe allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H-AwCaSdCiE" width="560"></iframe>
For a preview of the excitement that awaits you, check out these great videos and links:
University of Leeds
University of Leeds Student Experience
University of Leeds Student Testimony
Field Trips and Excursions
Through experiential learning and field trips, you will spend lots of time outside of the classroom. You will enjoy hands-on learning that will give you insights into British culture, history and society. Each module includes at least one field trip to support what you have learned in the classroom. Destinations include Castle Howard in York, the Brontë Parsonage in Haworth and the cities of Manchester and Liverpool. Download our excursions, trips and socials guide.
Cultural Excursions + Social Program
The summer school has a busy social program to help you make the most of your time in Leeds as well as further afield. All of the social activities listed below are included in the program fee:
- orientation activities
- a pub quiz
- sports socials
- three full-day excursions, to York, Whitby and the Yorkshire Dales
- a half-day excursions to Harewood House
- a farewell dinner
Session 1: July 4th - July 18th, 2020
Session 2: July 19th - August 1st, 2020
Important note: Please do not book your travel arrangements until you have received the official Travel Memo from your program advisor.