About the Spain and Portugal Winter Program
The content of this course is largely the trip itself which will be an intensive twelve day educational experience for students. Students will learn about ancient, renaissance, medieval and modern Spain and Portugal. During the course of the trip we will take a series of guided tours that will discuss the political, religious, architectural and artistic history of all three civilizations. Reading Payne's History of Spain and Portugal will greatly assist students in understanding the lectures given during the tours. Student should expect to spend between three and four hours a day in intense learning experiences that will include lectures and site visit. Travel arrangements permitting, students will also have several "free" hours each day during which they are expected to visit museums, art galleries, archaeological sites, Churches and other places of historical interest as well as experience the local culture by, for example sampling the local cuisine at the restaurant of your choosing for lunch. What follows is a somewhat in-depth description of several of the sites and educational experience students will have during the trip as well as briefer descriptions of a number of other experience/sites. Much more detail will be provided during the tour lectures.
Students will acquire knowledge about the political, culture (contemporary and ancient) religious, architectural and artistic history Spain and Portugal. With this knowledge students will come to a better understanding of these countries’ historical role in the world. For instance, students will complete this course with a better understanding Portugal’s role in the age of discovery, and Spain’s role in the conflict between Christians and Muslims in medieval Europe.
Housing and Orientation
Students will stay in hotels for the duration of the trip.
For more information regarding this program, please contact the faculty director: Dr. Steve Jurek, email@example.com
Students will earn 3 credits for participating.
Course Syllabus: Portugal Spain syllabus 2019.docx
Fees for the Brockport Spain and Portugal Program, Winter 2018-19:
Undergraduate Winter Program Costs: $5,146.36
(Estimated Cost - 3 credits
- Campus fees (college and technology fee)
- SUNY International Health Insurance*
- Program Acceptance Fee
- Pre-departure Orientation Materials
- Round-trip airfare (from Buffalo)
- Accommodation in triple/quad occupancy
- Daily breakfast and 6 dinners
- In-country transportation
- Entrance fees
- Global travel protection
- Local guides, and
- Brockport's Study Abroad Office Services including the presence of a Brockport Faculty Director
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Mandatory tips
- Miscellaneous expenses (this includes additional meals, entertainment, additional excursions, shopping, laundry, airline luggage fees, etc.)
- If students deposit by Friday, April 27, 2018, they will receive a $200 discount.
- Deviations from the group flight from Buffalo will be at an additional expense to the traveler unless the traveler submits their request to EF by August 31, 2018.
- Participants will incur cancellation fee in the amount of $665.00 for withdrawal after April 29, 2018.
- Participants will incur cancellation fee in the amount of $1,915.00 for withdrawal after September 27, 2018.
- Participants will incur 100% liability for the cost of program for withdrawal on November 16, 2018 or after.
Financial aid applies towards fees.
*The SUNY International Health Insurance is mandatory and will be included on the student's Brockport invoice.
**Varies depending on the SUNY campus at which the participant pays tuition.
The cost (and items included in the cost) as listed on the website are subject to change and should be considered estimates. Final budget sheets will be mailed to the student prior to departure and usually upon acceptance.
Day 1: Fly overnight to Spain
Day 2: Barcelona
Walking tour of Las Ramblas
Day 3: Barcelona
Take a guided tour of Barcelona
Plaza de Catalunya
Plasa de Espana
La Sagrada Familia
Day 4: Barcelona + Valencia
Travel to Valencia
Day 5: Valencia + Granda
Walking tour of Valencia
Travel to Granada
Day 6: Granada + Costa del Sol
Take a guided tour of Granada
Visit the Alhambra
Travel to Costa del Sol
Day 7: Costa del Sol
Enjoy a free day on the Costa del Sol
Explore shops, beaches and local culture on your own
Day 8: Costa del Sol + Seville
Travel to Seville
Take a guided tour of Seville
Visit the Seville Alcázar
Visit the Seville Cathedral
Day 9: Seville + Madrid (high speed train)
Travel to Madrid
Take a guided tour of Madrid
Visit the Royal Palace
Take a walking tour of Madrid
Visit the Prado
Day 10: Madrid + Toledo
Cathedral of Toledo
Church of Santo Tome
Back to Madrid
Day 11: Madrid + Merida + Lisbon
Visit Roman Theater in Merida
Travel to Lisbon
Day 12: Lisbon
Take a guided tour of Lisbon
Torre de Belem
Padrao dos Descobrimentos
Visit the Castelo de São Jorge
Visit the Mosteiro dos Jerónimos
Day 13: Depart for home
Itinerary is subject to change