For all students, studying abroad is a rewarding and life changing time to learn about a new culture and gain a deeper understanding of globalization. For travelers that identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ+), it's important to carefully consider study abroad program options and know that countries around the world have different perspectives than you're familiar with.
Studying abroad as part of the LGBTQ+ community can present unique opportunities and challenges. LGBTQ+ rights and issues are different in each country or region and determined by numerous factors; culture, religion and politics. The best way to avoid problems that cause discomfort or danger is to become familiar with the prevailing attitudes before departing for study abroad. To provide support and ensure all travelers have a safe and enjoyable experience, this page provides resources on sexual orientation and gender identity.
Things to Consider
- According to Diversity Abroad, LGBTQ+ students should consider the following questions: What are the laws regarding homosexuality and gender identity in my host country?
- Is it safe for me to be out when I’m abroad? Should I come out to my host family?
- What are the cultural norms for dating and friendship?
- What kinds of LGBTQ+ resources are there in my host country?
- What is the LGBTQ+ population like in my host country? How visible and large is it? How do they dress, behave, etc.?